I have been on a HUGE Mexican food kick lately. While this could be quite dangerous, if you practice a little self control and portion control Mexican food can be fairly healthy. 😉 Before you go consider what you will find more satisfying – will it be having a margarita and foregoing the queso? Or just the opposite? Having a game plan before you go can help when all the deliciousness is laid out in front of you.
Tips to Order Healthier at a Mexican Restaurant
- Opt for a dish with a lot of protein. I usually always choose fajitas because I can then make them exactly how I want. I fill up the tortilla mostly with chicken, lettuce, tomatoes and then add just a sprinkle of cheese.
- Choose guacamole or salsa over queso. Fresh guacamole is super delicious, and will actually fill you up. It provides a lot of healthy fat into your meal too.
- Corn tortillas are better than flour, so opt for the corn. If you just love the flour, perhaps consider doing 1 corn, 1 flour.
- When ordering a margarita, it’s best not to do frozen. Frozen margaritas are FULL of sugar. Look for margaritas that are sweetened with agave. They taste so much fresher and delicious, and then they actually taste like a margarita instead of a cup of sour sugar.
- ONE chip basket. When the waiter comes back over asking if you would like more chips, always answer NO! Trust me, one basket is enough. However, if you are with a group of friends and that would be looked down upon, just put the chip basket farthest away from you so you don’t have it sitting there tempting you.
- Drink TONS of water. I always try to have a lot of water before my meal comes out. When you want your 100th chip, grab your water and gulp it down!
To further ignite my Mexican food cravings, Oklahoma City has just gotten two more delicious options for Mexican food.
I just adored the atmosphere at Barrios, especially the outdoor seating area. Definitely opt to eat outside because it was just adorable!
While I usually just like the tried and true fresh guacamole, I had to try their mango guacamole. Wow! It’s super delicious. It wasn’t too sweet, and was a fun change to basic guacamole. Their wood fired fajitas were delicious and I loved their refried black beans. I don’t really like the typical refried beans made with pinto beans, but the refried black beans were incredible and so flavorful! I opted for the corn tortillas, although I can tell they are proud of their homemade flour tortillas. But I’m trying to practice what I preach, read above 😉 Colton had no problem trying them though and gave them a big thumbs up.
Definitely plan a dinner date to Barrios soon if you’re in the area!
Revolucion was more casual than Barrios but equally lovely in a different feel. This is a better option when you are wanting to grab a quick drink, or happy hour after work. They have a lot of different tequila options too, if you consider yourself a tequila connoisseur.
While I had already eaten dinner before going, I did the most important taste test – guacamole and salsa. The guacamole was very fluffy – does that make sense? It was zesty and had added deliciousness with pepitas and queso fresco on top of it. I loved the unusual pairing of the toasted pepitas. It added a nice crunch. They also has some popcorn that came out with it, which was quite interesting of a mix but amazing! The popcorn has queso fresco and chili pepper on top – YUM!
What’s your favorite thing to order at a Mexican restaurant? Do you usually splurge or try to keep it healthy-ish?