Never underestimate the power of lifting weights. I would go so far to say that weight lifting is more important and critical than cardio if you want quick healthy results. Women get sucked into a trap of wanting to just do cardio to lose weight, however, lifting weights is so important!! It not only makes you stronger and toned, it also revs up your metabolism for hours, and protects your body from injury in normal day to day activity.
Form is everything in strength training!
- To keep your entire shoulder balanced, equally do sets of push ups and rows. If not, the front of shoulder will be stronger while the back of your shoulder is weaker, which can cause postural problems. And we all know that posture is important! Having good posture exudes confidence and power.
- Always watch your toes in squats! Your knees should be pointed in the same direction as your toes and your weight should be in your heels.
- When doing chest presses on the bench, keep your feet on the ground. It takes tension off your chest when your feet are on a bench or in the air.
- Put your elbows below your nose, instead of below your shoulders when doing a plank exercise. It forces your core muscles to work 2x as hard.
The results can be quicker if you change up your techniques:
- Change your pace. Bust out some reps as fast as you can, then slow it downnnn.
- Drop it low. To begin, choose the heaviest weight you can manage and do 10 reps. Then, decrease your weight by around 15% and do it again. Decrease each following set weight until completely fatigued.
- Slow your pace down. The slower you go, the less momentum you can use.
- Mix heavy and light dumbbells. Light dumbbells allows you to incorporate explosive movements.